Saturday 14 April 2012

Virak Buntham bus (Siem Riep to Sihanoukville)

This is what happens...


If you're driving a bus and doing this at 5minute intervals (hint: not scratching your ear)...


But if your mobile phone ring tone, teeth-jarringly shot suspension, and 10-second hooting policy prevents people from sleeping on your "VIP" sleeper bus, at least they will be cooled by aircon...


And will be able to use the VIP loo, which looks a little different from the shiny white thrones in the adverts (oh and no shoes allowed in here as these must be left at the door of the bus)....


...provided that they can navigate their way to the loo over all the passengers sitting on the floor who are unlikely to have paid $17 for the ride...well not to the bus company anyway. And when you're driving like a maniac, what's the point of a speedometer that works eh? 


Yep, nightmare journey. Was I really saying thanks be for the night bus a day earlier? Two hours into the journey, there was a very loud bang, a cursory look at the problem, and travel continued at a marginally less deathly speed, but that's not to say it was less deathly. Unfortunately the driver couldn't speak English, so he couldn't tell me that we had a puncture and we were driving on regardless. My guesthouse relayed that info to me after a concerned call to them, but I was told not to worry and bail from the bus as there were 2 wheels. I have to confess that there was some less-than-calm texting home with the details of my journey and insurance policy number. I have not yet learnt the art of being super chilled! Still on my to do list.

Loving Hoi An at the moment. Will post about Koh Rong soon.

Posted: 14 April 2012

1 comment:

  1. It's all part of the experience!! My way of dealing with that sort of thing is always to ensure I have a good book (to keep my eyes off the road and all the 'near misses'), and a strong bladder. Sounds like you're getting the 'real' experience at any rate!

    ReplyDelete